Thursday, April 5, 2007

The First Real Practice

Okay, so, i figured I'd done enough tapping on tables and I spent a half hour actually practicing the damn banjo. Spent 5 minutes doing each of the four major rolls (that is, eighth-note picking patterns) at 95bpm. Not super fast, of course, but I'm planning on increasing around 2bpm each day, so I figured I'd start slowly. There's no point in trying to do it fast if I can't do it right.

Oddly enough, the finger that feels like it got the most workout was my pinky - one that has absolutely nothing to do with picking. It spent its time (with my ring finger) planted on the head of the banjo. It kinda makes sense, though. It's the anchor for the whole operation.

Also, I just realized that the Head of a banjo is completely different from the Head of any other stringed instruement. Usually, the head is where the tuners are, but the head of a banjo is the head of the drum. The tuners are at the peghead. Banjos, therefore, have two heads - a big one and a little one. Guess banjo playing is manlier than I thought...

No comments: